Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TN: Château La Gaffelière 1996 St. Emilion 1er Grand Cru Classe

I'm trying to figure what I'm missing in the Château La Gaffelière 1996 St. Emilion 1er Grand Cru Classe. There's nothing here that I can't find in a middle of the road Loire red from a warmer vintage, though this is mostly Merlot with Cab Franc and Cab Sauv as blenders. Yet this is more expensive, and significantly older than most of what I drink. The balance is fine--it's just not that interesting to drink and is aromatically challenged.

I guess I expected a bit more from a wine just a rung below Ausone and Cheval Blanc in classification. Despite the fact that it has aged well--it's not dried out, tired or oxidized--it's simply underwhelming.
  • 1996 Château La Gaffelière - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru

    Kind of perplexing--this is what aged 1er Grand Cru Classe is supposed to be? True, this is not tired, oxidized or otherwise past it. It's just very middle of the road. Tight nose of band-aid and cherry. Medicinal cherry flavors with a metallic aftertaste. Tannins are well resolved, acidity is medium. Not bad, but not exciting either.

No comments: